Sunday, June 7, 2009

View from the sticks



For a while now I have been feeding the birds and have enjoyed watching them. After I got a guidebook I was very surprised and how many different bird species I had visiting my feeders during the course of the year. I took the next step this year and started on a long term project. After seeing an Eastern Bluebird in the garden for the first time ever I got plans and started building nesting boxes for the Bluebirds. I am also working on building boxes for the little brown bats that fly around my back yard at dusk.
An added bonus to watching the birds during the day is the great job they do in keeping the insect numbers in check. I had so little insect damage in the garden last year and did not know why. I did not realize how aggressive a predator they were until watching them go after a frayed piece of string blowing in the breeze in the garden last year. They must have thought it was a moth and went after it for hours.
So if you can, give the birds a little help and they will repay it many times over.

6 comments:

Lily said...

If this isn't the lifestyle you were planning on, what is???

interesting to see you into eastern philosophy and gardening/birdwatching...

I really liked the post on maps/GPS.
We also don't use GPS. My husband doesn't like the idea of others finding us and we both don't like to be reliant on others either. really stupid to make yourself that voulnable voluntary!

I have a decent sense of direction, that is also worth a lot.

You can read more here, if you're interested:

http://ahealthierwayofliving.blogspot.com/2009/06/10-things-about-myself.html

Lily said...

Just read the post farther down on the cyberattack.
you know I live in Denmark and we had a general strike once, where you couldn't buy food or gas for a week and other essentials like that... and everybody got so terrible desperate over absolutely nothing!

But they were all completely naive and unprepared and had apparently no creative scills at all!

I like the things you write about in this blog, very interesting. Apart from the gardening - well interesting, but I really suck at that! -Even though we have enough land. And I've always had a dream of having an ecological veggetable garden, but I had to realize that this is something that just takes too much time and I already have too many other things going on...

ExRanger said...

Sarah Sofia Ganborg,
I have never had anyone write to me from Denmark. I always think of the book "Out of Africa" by Karen Blixen when I think of Denmark.
The lifestyle I was not planning on was the one where I adopt a 1930's lifestyle due to Peak Oil, The Greater Depression, GM going bankrupt.....
I know that a large number of people are not prepared and I am writing this Blog as a way to help in a small way.
As far as the gardening goes, I have found that it is very enjoyable once you get things going and the food is soooo good. You might try starting very small and expanding slowly and see what you think. How long is the growing season where you live?
Thanks for writing, I enjoyed it.

Lily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Weaseldog said...

Nice work.

The birds that visit my garden every day, is one of perks that make it all worthwhile.

ExRanger said...

Thanks Weaseldog!
I never seem to get tired of watching them especially in the winter. There was a hardcore group of birds that would come in to the feeders every day.